Understanding Pigmentation Solutions
RA’s Pigmentation Solutions corrective facial and chemical peel address these concerns by reducing pigmentation, and strengthening and healing the skin. But before we dive into the protocols, let’s explore the types of pigmentation changes that occur in the skin and which ingredients are most effective in targeting pigmentation.
How pigmentation changes the skin
Generally speaking, people think of hyperpigmentation as uneven skin tone, but there’s much more to the story. Spots or patches of darkened pigment are called hyperpigmentation, while on the opposite end, light white spots in the skin, caused by a lack of melanin, are called hypopigmentation.
Melanin, which is produced by melanocytes in the epidermis, gives a person their skin color. When melanin is damaged or unhealthy, its production process is affected, causing the skin to either lighten or darken in spots or patches. Both internal (intrinsic) and external (extrinsic) causes impact melanin’s production process and can include factors such as medications, pregnancy, acne trauma, sun damage, eczema or chemical irritants. Visit the Rhonda Allison website to learn about other common causes of hyperpigmentation.
Ingredients that target pigmentation
To eliminate, reduce and manage pigmentation, there are four key actions to focus on: surface exfoliation, suppressing melanocyte activity, skin lightening and brightening, and cell repair and protection.
Professional treatments and prescribed home care should aim to address each of these four areas. To do that, it requires the right mix of ingredients that aim to rejuvenate, heal, strengthen, brighten and protect the skin. Some of these ingredients include:
- Kojic acid: Derived from mushrooms, kojic acid effectively penetrates the skin to inhibit melanin synthesis. Find it in Naturalé Mega Brightening Serum.
- L-arbutin: This ingredient is a pure water-soluble, biosynthetic active commonly extracted from the leaves of the bearberry bush. It reduces melanin formation and the appearance of dark spots, and is ideal for those with sensitive skin. Find it in Skin Brightening Cleanser
- Daisy flower extract: This natural brightening botanical is gentle, yet highly effective in reversing existing pigmentation issues by influencing and slowing pathways involved in melanin formation. Find it in Brightening Pigment Lotion.
- Azelaic acid: This compound is derived from grain and yeast. It helps to normalize cell growth, provides antioxidant and anti-inflammatory support and helps treat acne-related post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation. Find it in Skin Brightening Enzyme.
RA’s Pigmentation Solutions Series
Pigmentation issues have been on the rise over the last several years, but the good news is, with the right care, many are treatable. With that in mind, we’ve focused our 2019 Signature Treatments on solving this specific issue.
- The Pigmentation Solutions Corrective Facial uses a lotus-infused enzyme peel to enhance skin tone with a cooling cucumber spritz to reduce inflammation. Skin-brightening ingredients such as daisy flower extract, L-arbutin and kojic acid found in Naturalé Mega Brightening Serum help even tone, while the LumiStem Gel Mask decreases superficial discolorations and effectively restores, cools and hydrates. An application of grape seed oil and a retinal complex serum promotes a glowing complexion. Next, perform oxygen therapy using O2 Vitalixer –– it’s the star of the treatment. Finally, a combination of the C-Peptide Complex, Grape Seed Hydrating Serum and Blushed Wine Gel will leave skin feeling hydrated, nourished and refreshed, and will give clients a glowing appearance.
- ● The Pigmentation Solutions Peel combines fruit extracts and aloe from the Mint Papaya Enzyme with hibiscus flower extract, azelaic acid and mandelic complex from the Flower Acid Peel to encourage cell turnover and reduce pigmentation. The pre-peel application uses kojic acid, azelaic acid and L-arbutin from the Melanin Suppressant Solution, which also provides antibacterial and antioxidant support. A trio of peels utilize TCA and vitamin A to improve skin texture, fight free radicals and reduce uneven pigmentation. Following the peel applications the skin will be well exfoliated and more receptive to corrective and nourishing ingredients. Finally, apply the Omega 6 EFA to bring radiance to the skin.
Continuing care at home
To further support the work done in the treatment room, it’s imperative to build an at-home regimen. Here are a few select products from our Pigmentation Solutions line that are specifically designed to remove build up, boost lightening and brightening support, and repair and protect skin at a cellular level to help clients achieve an even, luminous complexion:
- Cleanse, Exfoliate and Tone: Skin Brightening Cleanser, Brightening Scrub and Brightening Pigment Lotion
- Correct and Repair: Naturalé Mega Brightening Serum, Skin Brightening Gel
- Build and Strengthen: C-Stem Cell, MVC Serum
- Hydrate: Growth Factor Serum, Brightening Cream Enhanced
- Indulge and Protect: Chocolate Antioxidant Mask, Daytime Defense SPF 30